Where does the poetry come from?

My poetry comes through quickly, briefly edited and flows freely. It has been described as RAW, HONEST, SINCERE. It comes through so fast that if I don't sit and write it immediately, it is gone. Is it a gift? Is it worth sharing? I don't know, but I do know that it is now a part of me and I will put it out there.
Sincerely,
Sarah Sherman (C)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A not so Happy Birthday... A poem for my Dad

This doesn't even come close to what I want to say about my Dad. The way that I want to remember him, his strength and courage. The last few years are not a reflection of who he was or what he could do. 

My Dad stood out in a crowd, he left an amazing legacy that I am so proud of him for and I can't even brag about, just one of those quiet things he did to help others. He wasn't perfect and isn't now, I never wanted him to be. I just wish he could understand how much I love him, how much his grand daughters care for him and adored him. 

I think he took just about every grand baby for their very first Dairy Queen ice cream cone. It was a milestone for them and you couldn't even get mad at him for doing it when they were so young because he was just so proud of how cute they were trying to eat that little cone. 

My Dad tried to get me to believe I was beautiful and smart, I never really did believe it but he sure did think so... I love you Dad... I wish you could do what other retired people do ... travel in a motor home and visit family but that wasn't in the cards for you... I just hope some of these words help convey how I feel for you. I have agonized over this poem and like I said, it doesn't even come close to how I feel about you. I can only say this THANK YOU for being the best Dad you could be!

An Ode To My Dad

Once I was a little girl
You were the only man
In my whole  world
I had to look way, way up
To see your face
You were my Dad
You filled all of my space
Like an oak it seemed
You would stand forever

I was your princess
You kept me safe
You gave me all I could
Ever want or possibly need
You bought me a pony
And my first motorbike
You took me camping, fishing
And so many things I like
You were my Dad,
The only man in my life

One day you gave me
A heart shaped locket
It was so beautiful , gold
Personal and made me know
I was  important to you
You said you wanted me to feel
Special, surrounded by boys
You were my Dad,
The only man in my life

I grew taller,
But you were always big in my eyes
A gentle giant,
With a smile and laugh
That when it broke across your face
Made me feel warm
And loved in your embrace
You used to sing
And play the guitar
Now when I hear the songs
I don’t feel you’re very far
You were my Dad,
The only man in my life.

I grew older
I thought I knew so much
You didn’t seem to age
I never thought you would
Grow old, get weak

You gave me away
Twice, as I married
You blessed my babies
You were always there for me
You were my Dad
You were the one,
I could always depend on

We have both grown older
Life has moved on
Now I have grown children
Of my own, They look up to you
And love you dear
We are so far, wish we were near
I have  a man in my life
That I cherish,
But you are still my Dad

You were like a tree
So big and strong
Sturdy and always there
You could do anything
Like a tree, your branches
Have grown weak
The sap is thinning
But you are still my Dad
So important in my life

I wish I could make
Your golden years happier
Less difficult, healthier
If I could care for you
As you cared for me
I could repay the love
I know this isn't
How you wanted it to be
I know you feel lost
Alone, in despair

You are still an important man
In my world, your daughters
Your sons, your grandchildren
Your wife, you are part of our life
We all love you deeply
Your leaves are drifting
From the tree, but memories
Will hold our love, the
Time we spent at your knee

Love always,
Your daughter, Toot

Sarah Sherman (C) 

5 comments:

The Zen of Gavin said...

What a touching story, thanks you for sharing.

http://www.thezenofgavin.com/

The Zen of Gavin said...

What a touching and lovely poem, thank you for sharing

http://www.thezenofgavin.com/

...Sarah Sherman said...

Thank you Zen... it is very personal so it means a lot that it touches others.

Anonymous said...

I read this yesterday but couldn't find the right words to express how it made me feel. Having lost both of my parents (mom when I was 27 and dad when I was 37) it made me wish for some extra time with them to tell them all I felt. Your poem and story pretty much covered what I would have liked to have said to them. Beautiful Sarah. Don't stop writing your touching and heartfelt posts. Thanks for sharing the story and wishing all the best for your mom and dad. Hugs.

...Sarah Sherman said...

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that it touched you and expressed some of what you felt... It is hard to know sometimes if I am simply being self-absorbed or actually reaching out to others. Take care!